After getting sunburned and mashed-up feet I will say that alluyuh MUST come to Trinidad & Tobago Carnival 2011!!! It is the best show on Earth for real! It is almost impossible to explain the excitement, joy and anticipation of performing in front the judges. And also to be jumping around all-day in full-costume with hundreds of fellow masqueraders.
In a GOOD all-inclusive Mas Band like Ronnie & Caro, Tribe, Island People, Legacy, etc (I will not choose any favourites because I have not played with others), you should expect these minimum requirements:
- A well-designed and constructed Carnival Tuesday costume
- Carnival Monday casual costume
- Drink & refreshment trucks all-day along the Road March
- Portable toilet truck all-day along the Road March
- LOTS of security to keep out non-masqueraders
- Breakfast, snacks and lunch
YAY!! Ronnie & Caro won first place prize for Best Medium-sized Mas Band! (This is the Band I played in) If you’re in Trinidad come and join me for a Celebration Fete at their Mas Camp on Ariapita Avenue in Port-of-Spain.
The only downside to playing mas in a Mas Band is that you can’t and won’t see the splendor of all the other Bands. However, you can watch repeat streaming of Carnival Tuesday’s Road March at triniscene.com.
Here are some of my favourite Road March tunes from Carnival Tuesday 2K10: